Hot Stones Massage Therapy
Stone massage therapy uses the smooth surface and weight of alternately hot and cold stones to ease and tease your body into a blissful state of relaxation.
It is fast becoming one of the most popular massage treatments, partly because it feels so unique and partly because the varying temperatures of the stones can be used to treat a number of common complaints. For example, if you suffer from muscular aches, rheumatism, arthritic pain, stress or insomnia then a stone massage could help to put the spring back in your step. You may never look at your rockery in the same way again.
How does it work ?
So here’s the science bit: the hot stones are used to expand your blood vessels and to relax your muscles, while the cold stones are used to stimulate your nervous system and increase the lymph flow of waste materials around your body. Cold stones can also be used to help control muscular inflammation after injury (a more elegant version of the bag of frozen peas trick).
If you’ve ever had acupuncture or an acupressure massage, you’ll be familiar with the idea of meridian points. These are the points on your body that are thought to affect the flow of chi (or your lifeforce). Stones are placed on these meridian points and left to rest there while the heat and pressure relaxes your muscles and gets that chi on the go.
What are the Benefits of Hot Stone Massage Therapy?
- Relaxes and sedates
- Helps alleviate insomnia
- Eases menstrual cramps and associated lower backache
- Relieves tension headaches
- Eases osteoarthritis and arthritis pain
- Releases tension from chronically tight muscles and relieves muscle spasm, aches and pains
- Allows the therapist to work more deeply into your already relaxed muscles
- Increases circulation of blood and lymph, detoxifies and promotes healing
- Promotes a spiritual feeling of being grounded, or connected with earth energy
60 minutes £60